Who is a school board member?
With nearly 60 years of working with school boards, common traits among school board members emerge. School board members develop skills over time through experience and continued training. A school board member is…
- passionate about public education.
- motivated by the best interests of all kids.
- committed to listen and collaborate.
- trusting in the democratic process.
- engaged with board business and training.
Fundamental roles of school boards
Schools are large organizations and everyone in the community plays a role, but the school board:
- Visualizes and clarifies district purpose.
- Observes and monitors district progress.
- Implements policy and budget.
- Connects with community.
- Employs the superintendent.
Qualifications of school board members
- Must be a U.S. citizen;
- A resident taxpayer of the district or in urban districts, a voter of the district;
- A resident of Missouri for at least one year and at least 24 years of age;
- Current on state and local taxes;
- Have not been found guilty of or pled guilty to a felony under Missouri or federal law;
- Am not registered or required to register as a sex offender;
- Have filed required campaign documents for all previous campaigns, if any.
School Board Candidate Starter Kit
Download a printed handout to share.
Instructions: Print double sided. Fold in half, then half again.
School Board Meeting Information Card 4-up
Instructions: Print. Cut in half, then half again. Complete the card with your school board meeting information.
Send both pieces in a 4 x 6 envelope to a potential board candidate.