State law now requires all school board members to not only receive training the first year of service, but also one hour of “refresher” training for every subsequent year of board service. The training must include concepts covered in the initial training plus the prevention of sexual abuse of children.
Not all training satisfies the law! The “refresher” training must be provided by “a statewide association organized for the benefit of members of boards of education or be approved by the state board of education.” MSBA is the only association that was founded by school board members for school board members and has provided quality board training for decades.
Three-Hour “Refresher” Training – The Board’s Role in Preventing Student Sexual Abuse
$75 per person
This training will satisfy the requirement for three years if the board member has no break in service.
This session will discuss sexual misconduct in the school environment based on research conducted by MSBA Center for Education Safety; identify common grooming behaviors and patterns of abuse; and highlight sample policies and good board practices to prevent abuse of students and appropriately address misconduct. Interactive activities using real scenarios will be included. A minimum number of participants is required at each location.
Click on a date to register.
- Thursday, September 26, 2019 from 1:30 – 5:00 p.m. at Tan-Tar-A, Osage Beach, Missouri
- Monday, October 28, 2019 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in New Madrid
- Thursday, October 17, 2019 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in St. Louis
- Thursday, November 14, 2019 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Springfield
- Thursday, December 5, 2019 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Chillicothe
- Friday, January 24, 2020 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Columbia
- Thursday, March 5, 2020 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Columbia
- Date TBD from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. in Kansas City
Additional opportunities will be added based on demand.
Please contact MSBA if your district would like to host!