Thank You to All the MSBA Delegates!
An MSBA Delegate is a school board member that has been appointed by his or her school board to serve as a liaison with MSBA. Every MSBA member district is entitled to at least one Delegate. If a school district does not specifically designate a Delegate, MSBA will assume that the Board President is the Delegate for the district.
MSBA has recently updated its Advocacy Positions document, which lists a wide variety of positions on state and federal issues. What is the most important to your school district? Has your district communicated your Board’s priorities to legislators?
A Delegate has the following responsibilities:
- Serve as the Liaison between MSBA and the local board of education.
- Report monthly to the local board on important issues identified by MSBA, including state and national issues and opportunities and concerns
related to public schools.
- Actively participate in the development and promotion of MSBA Advocacy Positions.
- Attend and participate in the MSBA Delegate Assemblies.
- The alternate delegate will assume the role of delegate if the delegate is unable to serve.
MSBA encourages districts to also appoint one or more Alternate Delegates to serve in the absence of the Delegate. Most districts designate a Delegate and Alternate Delegate at the school board’s reorganization meeting in the spring.
MSBA has scheduled Delegate Assemblies for the following dates:
- June 19, 2020 – Springfield, MO
At the annual Great Ideas Summit, the Delegate Assembly shall select Association leaders for the upcoming year, consider any amendments to the Bylaws, advise the Board of Directors on the control and management of the Association and receive reports on the state of the Association.
- September 25, 2020 – Kansas City, MO
At the fall Annual Conference, the Delegate Assembly shall adopt a comprehensive position document to guide MSBA’s legislative/advocacy efforts. The comprehensive position document will be distributed by the Board of Directors to the Delegate Assembly 30 days prior to the Annual Conference.
The Delegate Assembly in June is held in conjunction with the MSBA Great Ideas Summit and the assembly in September is held in conjunction with the Annual Conference. You do not need to attend the conferences in order to participate in the Delegate Assembly, but please pre-register.
Beth Stocksick – Sr. Administrative Specialist, Advocacy
The position of Delegate is important to your Association! Please email email@example.com with your delegate information. Thank you!